Eight visionaries scheduled to deliver TED-style talks on technology, entertainment, design, and more at seventh annual conference
TEMECULA, CA – September 4, 2018– TEDxTemeculaorganizers announced today the speaker lineup for its seventh annual event happening Saturday, September 29, 2018. The conference will be held at the Old Town Temecula Community Theater. The theme this year is “Absurdity.”
Eight speakers were selected out of a record 180 applicants hopeful to present at this year’s conference.
“The event has grown in popularity over the past seven years,” says Jim McLaughlin, Organizer, TEDxTemecula. “We’re now attracting potential speakers from across the country. We chose these eight because they cover a wide-range of thought-provoking topics that are relevant to our audience and our region.”
The talks given at the annual TEDxTemecula conference are intended to spark curiosity and challenge the audience with new perspectives and ideas. Past audience members say they have achieved their desired effect.
“I was blown away by the local inspiration here in my own community,” said one attendee from 2017.
Another previous attendee said, “The speakers were diverse, authentic, inspiring, and worthy of attention. There’s something at TEDx for everyone.”
The 2018 speakers include:
- Eric Karlan, Co-Founder, Ivy Experience: Eric co-founded a global education company and has spent the past decade guiding students and families through the college preparation process. He has published articles on topics including sports, wildlife, Lyme disease, and the Holocaust.
- Gillian Larson, Speaker and Founder of Reality Rally Foundation: Gillian worked as an RN for 38 years before launching an encore career as a speaker. She founded Reality Rally to raise funds for Michelle's Place Cancer Resource Center. Born and raised in South Africa, Gillian has an insatiable appetite for adventure and challenge.
- Isaac Rosenbaum, recent High School Graduate and Author: Isaac has organized several large events encouraging social change and human connectedness. He has authored a book about doing things outside our comfort zones.
- Jack Park, Computer Scientist and Co-Founder of TopicQuests:Jack has spent the last 30 years exploring applications of artificial intelligence to assisting humans in problem solving. Since 2010, he has been engaged in the evolution of a non-profit foundation to facilitate serious online conversations about matters that matter, a process called Knowledge Gardening.
- Jami Buchanan McNees, Author, Cancer Survivor, Cancer Resource Activist and Health Insurance Agent: Jami advocates for Healthcare reform and Cancer early detection. She considers herself to be the most fortunate woman in the world.
- Jarred Vermillion, President and Founder, Vermillion Life Circle Consulting: Jarred is dedicated to changing the child welfare system. He has fueled many impactful avenues by leading with his heart. He is recognized as a California Wraparound Champion, shining as a leader in innovating and modernizing California's child welfare services.
- Kohl Crecelius, Social Entrepreneur: Kohl has worked to highlight the forgotten individuals behind the clothing we wear, as well as raise awareness to shoppers about the impacts of their purchases. He has a vision to humanize the fashion industry to make it fairer for all involved.
- Reinier Van der Lee, Founder, Vinduino:Reinier is a local vineyard owner and founder of Vinduino, a company specializing in precision irrigation for agriculture. Vinduino won the Hackaday 2015 "Best Product" prize, the IoT Award 2016 "Editors Choice”, and the City of Temecula “Innovator of the Year 2018” award. He is a named inventor in 17 issued patents.
The event will be held from 10am to 4pm, with presenters speaking for no more than 18 minutes each. A lunch is included with the ticket and provided by local E.A.T. Marketplace.
A separate ticketed event, the Speakers Reception, will be held immediately after, featuring time to engage in conversation with speakers and enjoy local Temecula Valley wine and charcuterie provided by E.A.T. Marketplace.
“As our region continues to come into its own, we are thrilled to have this unique opportunity to devote our energies to highlighting and celebrating who we are,” says McLaughlin.
Tickets are available at www.tedxtemecula.com.
To learn more about the TEDxTemecula event, participate, and see past talks, visit http://www.tedxtemecula.com.
Since 2012, TEDxTemecula has brought dynamic speakers and performers to an engaged audience. With fresh ideas on technology, entertainment, design, health, education, the arts and more —TEDxTemecula speakers inspire, delight, and teach us about our past, present, and future. TEDx events are independent events operated under a license from TED. Local businessman and community advocate Jim McLaughlin is the licensee for TEDxTemecula and leads a team of volunteers to produce the conference each year. All TEDxTemecula talks are videotaped and posted on YouTube for the world to view. The best talks could get elevated to TED.com.
For further information on TEDxTemecula, visit www.tedxtemecula.com. For press inquiries, contact email@example.com call 951-225-2179.
About TEDx, x = independently organized event
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TED Talks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. (Subject to certain rules and regulations.)
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading, usually in the form of short, powerful talks (18 minutes or fewer) delivered by today's leading thinkers and doers. Many of these talks are given at TED's annual conference in Vancouver, British Columbia, and made available, free, on TED.com. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Monica Lewinsky, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Sal Khan and Daniel Kahneman.
TED's open and free initiatives for spreading ideas include TED.com, where new TED Talk videos are posted daily; the Open Translation Project, which provides subtitles and interactive transcripts as well as translations from thousands of volunteers worldwide; the educational initiative TED-Ed; the annual million-dollar TED Prize, which funds exceptional individuals with a "wish," or idea, to create change in the world; TEDx, which provides licenses to thousands of individuals and groups who host local, self-organized TED-style events around the world; and the TED Fellows program, which selects innovators from around the globe to amplify the impact of their remarkable projects and activities.